Ascending Metnal

Midway upon the journey of our life I found myself within a forest dark, For the straightforward pathway had been lost. Ah me! how hard a thing it is to say What was this forest savage, rough, and stern, Which in the very thought renews the fear. -Dante Alighieri, Divine Comedy, Inferno, Canto I

This Dream Brought to You By...

Being on medication does some strange things to you. One of the biggest problems I had while depressed was poor sleep. Most nights I got very little sleep. I'd usually stay up late then wake up early. On the nights I did go to bed early, it took me anywhere from and hour to 3 hours to fall asleep with constant tossing and turning. While alseep, I would wake up about every hour. It would take me a while to fall back asleep. And I would always wake up about an hour before I needed to. Also, no matter how much I slept, I was always exhausted. I always felt like I needed a mid afternoon nap. When I first took my medication, I was restless at bed time. I couldn't fall asleep. Didn't she tell me I would sleep better? I reduced my medication from 40 to 20 mg which helped. Now I fall asleep almost immediately, and roughly get 7 hours a night. Oh but what an interesting 7 hours. I've noticed that my dreams have become more vivid. I can remember parts of my dreams now. And the parts I remember give me the illusion that they happened in real life. They feel so real that I actually think they happened. Whenever I see something in real life that was changed in my dream I experience a bit of shock. It takes me a second to realize that it was a dream. And whenever I think back about a dream, they feel like actual memories, rather than just ghosts of an event. I don't mind it. In fact I enjoy it. I love being able to fully immerse into a dreamworld and escape the physical world for 7 hours. I'm only worried that I'll have a terrifying nightmare. Even though I'm getting the best sleep I've had in a long time, it's not with out it's oddities.

4 comments:

Dear Persephone,

I have read your post. Don't give up on the medication. It takes several months to get in your system and start working. I am Bipolar and also on medication. Therapy can help you come to terms with you childhood. I hope you get well. I will check back in on you from time to time.
Pookalou
http://pookalou.blogspot.com

 

I am on medication for schizophrenia. In the beginning I, too, had insomina and restlessness, but I changed my medication to Abilify, and now I feel great. Talk to your doctor about switching your medication if it does not work for you, there is a medication out there for everyone to feel good about themselves.

 

I love the design of your blog. And thanks for sharing your healing journey. You write beautifully. Since you have abuse in your background, your mind could be processing that in dreams. It's a less life intrusive way. Certainly does make for some odd dreams though. Especially when some images are metaphors. Thank heaven's for medication that works, huh?