Ascending Metnal

Midway upon the journey of our life I found myself within a forest dark, For the straightforward pathway had been lost. Ah me! how hard a thing it is to say What was this forest savage, rough, and stern, Which in the very thought renews the fear. -Dante Alighieri, Divine Comedy, Inferno, Canto I

Title and Quote

It took me some time to decide what to call this blog. Metnal is the ninth level in the Mayan underworld described as a place of eternal darkness and cold. I envision my depression as being on a fragile ledge of a pit cave that drops to oblivion and so far down that there is no light. Recovering from depression is a long hard upward struggle where the rock under my hand can break off at anytime plummeting me down.

The quote is the opening to Dante's Inferno. The classic poem telling the story of a man's journey through hell to reach paradise. The poem opens with the narrator lost in a dark forest with the path to the sun blocked. To reach it he conquers fear and grows a stronger person.

The title and the quote set the mood I'm aiming for. They are a symbolic representation for this period of my life. Recovering from depression is a struggle that can take months or years. There is a danger of falling into remission. I honestly think that I will not fully recover from depression. It's been a part of my life for as long as I can remember, it will always be there. I do worry that I will have a remission, but for now I will scale the wall.

1 comments:

Don't lose hope. There is medication and therapy to help cope with depression.

I understand what you mean when you say you are close to remission, because I could easily have a relapse if I go a few days without my medication-it's a scary thought.