Ascending Metnal

Midway upon the journey of our life I found myself within a forest dark, For the straightforward pathway had been lost. Ah me! how hard a thing it is to say What was this forest savage, rough, and stern, Which in the very thought renews the fear. -Dante Alighieri, Divine Comedy, Inferno, Canto I

Medication

When I first thought I had depression (back in high school) I thought I needed to be put on anti-depressants. Of course I was aware of the stigma associated with medication for depression. Some of the thingd I had heard was that they don't work. Another is that teenagers didn't want to be on medication because they were forced to be on it by parents and therapists. I had also heard of the frustration that many people faced when taking anti-depressants. How they were constantly needing to increase dosage, or switch brand. To find the right combination. I was worried that if I needed medication, I would be on them for the rest of my life and I would need to be taking ever increasing doses. I was afraid of taking a medication that alters brain chemistry until my death. Even when I decided to talk to a health care provider and get medication (you could even say I was desperate) and I had the pills in my hand I hesitated for a minute because I knew that there was no going back. I was either going to fight a frustrating battle to see what works or I would be happy. I knew that as soon as I start taking the medication I couldn't stop because I would be worse off. But now that I am on medication, all of the negative things that I have heard about psychiatric drugs have disappeared. My theory as to why we hear so many negative things about medication is that the ones that it doesn't work for are the most vocal about it. For those that it does work, they feel good and don't bother about thinking how bad they feel. I'm glad I'm one of those that it worked for. I don't know how long I'll be on the medication or if the dosage has to go up, but I know I'm glad I did it.

4 comments:

I fully understand this blog. Even my Doctor told me that I don't have to tell anyone that I'm on medication, because of the stigma related to it. I once read something very healthy that helped me put things into the right perspective: This is a Quote from an article I read.
When Medication Is Prescribed

Some feel that taking medication is a sign of weakness. But think of it this way: A diabetic must submit to a program of treatment that may include taking insulin injections. Is this a sign of failure? Hardly! It is simply a means of balancing the body's nutrients so that the sufferer can remain healthy.

It is much the same with taking medication for depressive and bipolar disorders. Although many people have been helped by a program of counseling that has enabled them to understand their illness, a caution is in order. When a chemical imbalance is involved, the illness cannot be simply reasoned away with logic. Steven, a bipolar patient, relates: "The medical professional who treated me illustrated it this way: You can give a person all the driving lessons in the world, but if you give that person a car with no steering wheel or brakes, then those lessons won't do much good. In the same way, giving only cognitive counseling to a depressed person may not attain the desired results. Balancing the brain's chemistry is a valuable first step."

Why should anyone one feel worse about themselves because they need medication to be healthy. I did not want any medication to start with. I was afraid it would change who I am or make me a zombie. Now that I take it I feel so much better. All of my friends and noticed a difference right away. So for me the doctor's have say I need to be on medication for life. Sometimes I want to stop taking it. But I don't want to go back to what my life was like before. I know in order for me to be a healthy person just like a Diabetic I have to take my medicine.

 

At first I was in denial about my illness and did not want to take my medication, but a nurse pointed out how bad I was doing without it- not eating, moving, showering, and going to the emergency room several times for an IV because I was not eating; then I realized I was sick and needed medication.

My family got a Court order for doctors to medicate me, and I am so thankful for it.

Now I take my medication and feel like my old self again-enjoying my family, eating, showering, and living life.

I am glad you found a medication that works for you, and you are taking it.

 

I think you are very brave.
I'm trying to figure this all out and medication scares me good and proper.
Its hard walking that thin line between what feels like sanity and insanity, but to take the drugs...it feels like defeat.
I think you are very brave to have been able to take the plunge.

 

I am glad you found a medication that works for you and that you are no longer scared of it. I can relate to how you felt being scared of taking anything. When my doctor suggested antidepressants I thought - oh my god.... - but as she explained the effect etc I thought why not give it a try. And turns out, they've helped me a lot, I feel much better and hopefully soon I will be able to stop taking them.